Friday 7 May 2010

'Is that my milk tray!!!!' shouted Mitchell

Is that my milk tray!!!!, a line I've always remembered from 'Claws', one of my favourite plays, along with 'Potentials', written my friend Dominic Mitchell (or Mitchell as I like to call him) The first conversation we ever had was on the second day of our university term, within the IT suite, meeting each other for the first time. Mitchell had a passion for film, like myself, and an eye to succeed with his creativity and intelligence, traits which to this day, still shine through.

His most recent play, 'Don't look back', performed at the Young Vic, surprised me with his ending. I liked the play, it was as mad as a Mitchell play normally gets, playing on a myth that's supposely true, I was only confused by the straight ending which he never does. For the first time, there was a much more sombre, peaceful, happy end, like everything is going to be alright. You see, Mitchell creates unusual worlds with his plays.


In 'Claws', the focus draws from creating the idea that everything inside is safe inside and bad outside, as one of the children from the large age group, ages ranging from 6 to 18, returns back home after escaping weeks earlier. The older kids, named after looney tunes characters such as tweeny and bugs, tie him up and hang an anvil above his head. These are children who believe in Santa Claus and sing jingle bells as their prayers so when a homeless man, breaks into their home, dressed in a red suit, they beleive him to yours truely. The play was performed as a rehearsal at Polka theatre, I'm lucky to say I caught it but I'm sad to say that's the last time it was performed, as it remains one of my favourite plays.


As more Mitchell plays circled London, ranging from more rehearsals, to a few days perfomances, to one week runs, Mitchell was about to have a play entitled 'Potentials', which was about to have a run of just under three weeks at the Tristan Bates theatre. I'll add a link here so you can read more about this extraordinary play...


http://www.whatsonstage.com/reviews/theatre/off-west+end/E8831241782752/Potentials.html



The play blew me away, at the age of 27, the issues within it, had been central to most of my life and I think will always be even after the age of 30.


Mitchell's stories are a mix of the surreal, the shadows and the rawness within each of us, played out with political, social and dark humour. His characters look out towards what lengths a human being will really do and feel, given any time, place or situation, to any depths. Diverse, exciting, intense, revelant, Mitchell.

So what's next...well, Mitchell currently has a blog through writers room http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/dominic_mitchell/

and is developing other projects, which I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about or not...either way, you'll hear from him soon.

But for now...'Is that my milk tray!!!!'

No comments:

Post a Comment