Tuesday 8 June 2010

26th in Hamburg, going on 27th and more

International, no budget, three minute quickies, what do all these words have in common? Whatever you're thinking, stop! They're all sections from the 26th international short film festival, which I was lucky enough to attend this year, in the wonderful town of Hamburg.

In town for a short film, made by myself and Alex Barrett, Paintbrush: The Epitaph received a welcome and warm reception, as I was offered a drink by the barman in the very characteristic Lichtmeb cinema, only to be told to put my money away, after being told it was a super film.


As I enjoyed the luscious weather walking around town, I carried my trusty map and most importantly, the pocket size film festival schedule. With an array of short films, in sections that included home grown Hamburg short films and German, the festival also offered a children's film festival, entitled the mo&friese, now in it's 12th year. Within this section, were films considered to be suitable for children, made by adult filmmakers and films made by children themselves. This being my first children's film festival, I would love to see more of them around the world, as I saw a collection of delicate, creative and well made films


To mention a couple, a film entitled Herzschmerz (Heartache) an animation made with lego by thirteen year old Lennart Dohle, a film which deals with two characters who share the same feelings of lost and loneliness. When Hildegard's handbag is stolen by a thief, new friend Tim is at hand to the following consequences that follow, with a story that carries many old tradition values. So moving, it's hard to write, let alone think about this film again as I was lucky enough to see it twice. Jeremy Philip's Milchzahm und silberhaar (Milk tooth and silver hair) deals with a grandfather's story of the past to his grandchild, thoughtout camerawork and an easy to follow story, made this a simple and effective film.


One of this year's special programmes was films from Thailand, which I was lucky enough to see one film from, shown in the opening ceremony. A very interesting piece, which may have been only the beginning for a great array of short films which I'll sadly never find out, the unfortunate and always way of life with so many great things to choose from, you can't have it all.



With my many hightlights of the week, around meeting wonderful people from around the world, filmmakers, team members of the festival, natives and of course the lovely volunteers, (whom I have always enjoy meeting at all film festivals, of which are some of the greatest people I am still lucky enough to have today in my life)



I now have to mention the open air night. Situated on the top floor of a car park, in the parameters of Rathaus and Willy Brandt-Strabe, unsual short films from the three minute quickies and of the past, were introduced and screeened in the heart of the city, with an astonishing view, food and two euros bottled beer. At the end of the night, people started to fold and carry their chairs. Me and Alex sat confused, as to whether the chairs were owned by each person or was a tradition that we were about to insult. Mixing into the crowd seemd the best bet as we we picked up our chairs and followed the crowd, as we all walked down the car ramp from the seventh floor, of the kitchsy entitled park deck kino. Never done that before!!! I'll never forget it. Here is a picture, courtesy of Simone Werder, whom we met going down the ramp.








Rather than make this whole article about only the film festival, I would like to mention my wonderful hosts, Steffen and Frajo, who welcomed me and made me feel at home in their apartment, greatly located in a lovely part of the city. To you both, Ich danke Ihnen!

The city of Hamburg I have fallen in love in, people ride their bikes like they're stirring sugar into their tea. As my flight flew in, ready to land, I could see how stunningly beautiful the city was and on arrival, it became even more gorgeous with it's amount of greenery, warm people, relaxed way of life, great venues, shops, bars and casual atmosphere. In Hamburg, I felt like people were enjoying their lives, taking it all for what it is, something I myself value and appreciate, it's nice to see.


And so...with an endless list of parties, a range of contacts, fond memories, many beers, quick meals, not much sleep, awards given out and some last minute dancing, the festival bittersweetly came to a close. But like the director of Camerimage once told me, as me and other friends sat around with miserable faces in the club, on the last night of festival, asking what was wrong. We told him with sadness, 'it's over.' Marek replied with joy and positivity, 'Don't worry, they'll be another camerimage next year' and so...they'll be another international Kurz film festival in Hamburg...




I'll be waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment